Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Heart of Gratitude?

Growing up my dad worked hard, very hard.  I saw him get up early and come home late.  We ate out occasionally and our vacations were long weekends to the river. I have very few memories of being left behind.  Don't get me wrong, they would go out to dinner and friends homes, but we were not left home while they took a vacation,  they rarely took vacations.  We are a very happy family.  A normal night was coming home from school doing homework, what ever club/sport we participated in then having dinner together, cleaning up and playing a board game, puzzle, or cards.  This was the normal routine.  As a matter of fact it still is. (except David and I have taken vacations to places).  I love my family and I am glad that we laugh and cry together.

When I was about 13 years old, my parents bought me a stereo.  It was a nice one.  The only problem was I did not want it.  At the time I did not even think how selfish and unappreciative I was.  Hard work and sacrifice was given by my parents for this expensive gift.  They never said anything to me about being ungrateful.  They took it back and we bought something else.  I don't even remember what it was.  It was later that same year (after Christmas) that I say two family members have a huge argument about something.  It was apparent that someone was ungrateful. It hit me hard that it was me.  My mom does not even remember this and told me it was nothing.  I however, remember it clearly.  I was not nice, but I did learn how important it is to be grateful for what you receive no matter who it is from.

The list of what I am grateful for is long. I am grateful that my parents encouraged me to think and learn.  Even though I did not keep that stereo and replaced it with something else, I am truly grateful for it now.  The lesson learned from this experience has helped me appreciate even the smallest of things through out my life.

Even though I fail over and over I try to have a grateful heart.  I have learned to accept a gift and to accept it willingly.  I enjoy doing nice things for other people.  When I do something nice I don't expect anything in return.  Sometimes being a friend means being grateful.   Friends have helped us with so much it is amazing.  I am grateful for the life I have the all the experiences that go with it.  Far from perfect, but in the grace of God is where I stand.








No comments:

Post a Comment