Saturday, July 19, 2014

Sharpening a knife with Slipstrop



When carving on either rubber or wood it is vital to use sharp tools.   When I am beginning any carving project I start with sharpening the tools I will be using.



This is a slipstrop.  You can purchase it from many hobby or craft stores.

Rub the yellow compound on the leather

Take your knife edge and place it on the yellow compound on the flat leather .  Pull the knife edge off.


You can see that the knife is pulled out of the shaft.  I find it easier to sharpen this blade when it is expanded  (This is a 16 gauge Hypodermic needle removed from its casing and placed in a pin vice.) 

Keep your angle of your blade correct.  When you pull the knife blade it will leave a gray mark.

You can move to eye level to make sure your angle is correct.

You will want to do this at least 20 times.

When you are done check your blade.  Be careful it is sharp.

I make sure the blade is where I want it and lower it back into the shaft.  Time to carve.









No comments:

Post a Comment