Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pental Hi-Polymer Eraser

Amazingly this is the first time that I have handled this material.  After being asked about how it carved and what I knew about it (sadly I did not know anything) I went hunting for a package.  I happened to see that it was on sale in the "school supplies" at Wal-Mart - off I went.

I only purchased one package at that time.

The material is very flexible and yet sturdy.  It was thicker than I am use to using.



I carved a simple S with the material.  Truth be told I thought I would have nothing good to say about this medium.

I got caught in a one lane, lead car directed construction site.  I had a very long wait and decided to take a good look at this material.  In the car I have a sharpie and an old rusted exacto knife. Which was very dull.

So I drew a "S" backwards and cut away at the block.  Surprisingly it cut and cut cleanly.  I used the rusty exacto knife and carved up a simple s.  The s took well,  It did not crumble, and wear easily.  I stamped it with marker and ink when I got home.

The ink stamped very well.  Very easy to ink and stamp. Stamped it 100 times without the image changing,



I had a friend pick up a couple more so I could try transfer methods.

Acetone, wintergreen, or xylene transfers did not work.  I was only able to get a pencil transfer to work.

There is definately a use for this very inexspensive.  (the ones I picked up were .49 for 3)


The size is small, but for:
  • background designs
  • some LTCs 
  • Stamps without fine details
  • temporary plants
  • new carvers to learn on
  • kid carving
  • Carving on the road.  

I did not use gouges with this material just a dull exacto. 

I do not recommended with markers.  In my opinion the image/stamp would wear away quickly as it will peel.  It is an eraser and I used it to erase the pencil transfer.  There was eraser debris.  So it will wear away.  Limited or short term use. 

1 comment:

  1. My boys just carved their own signature stamps on these this weekend. It was their first time carving (they used #1 and #2 gouges), and it went surprisingly well. I suggested that they roll on the marker rather than rubbing, and it works pretty well. -TheKindlyVIkings

    ReplyDelete